As small business owners, we know it's important to get involved in social media. There is so much to know and so little time. This blog series is dedicated to giving you simple, straight-forward best practices for your business' social media presence. This week we'll be talking about Twitter.
- When posting to Twitter, use hash tags the right way. The best practice is to use 1 to 4 hash tags at a maximum. Too many hash tags can be extremely distracting to the reader. Also, Twitter users prefer reading Tweets with the hash tags outside of the post text. Still confused about hash tags? Read our blog dedicated to them here.
- Mention and thank your customers and fans. People love to be mentioned and re-tweeted, so do this often. You can make use of the well-known "Follow Friday" and mention some standout fans on that day. But we recommend taking the efforts a step further and personalizing a few tweets to fans each week. This small gesture goes a long way.
- Attach photos and videos whenever possible. People often forget to use photos on Twitter. It's a fact that a tweet which contains a high-quality graphic or short video will be viewed more than one without.
- Place hash tags in your company description on your Twitter profile. Doing this is a clear and simple way to get your Twitter page found when people search the hash tag you've placed within your bio. See the example on our founder's profile.
- Tweet often and in real-time. There's no such thing as too many tweets. Tweet daily and about topics that are relevant to your life and business. We find it most time-efficient to use the Twitter app on our phones.
- Create a follow list. Pretty quickly, the list of users you follow becomes quite large. It's often overwhelming to scroll through all of the tweets that are coming in. Creating a follow list offers you a streamlined feed with only the type of information you want to see. Here's how to create a Twitter follow list.
Twitter is a great tool for connecting with other individuals and brands. Our goal is to help you use it in the best way. For more social media insight, sign up for The Social Haven Community.